Sunday, March 03, 2013

sewing bug

every now and then i want to make something.
i tried my hand at knitting.
i LOVE yarn. i love knitting images. i love the rhythm of it.
problem is, i never progressed past knitting a scarf (my own issues) and so my dreams of being a super cool awesome knitter were never realized.
then my mom gifted me her sewing machine before she moved south.
i tried a quilt.
i MADE a quilt!
a real honest to goodness, being used every day, quilt.
me!
so i made another one, then i fizzled out.  i can't afford to buy lots of fabric, though new fabrics are pretty sweet, so my sewing machine sat and began collecting dust.  much like my knitting needles.
what i am very good at is buying sheets and pillow cases all from about 1975 at goodwills across maine. i am powerless to resist.  vintage, flowery, colorful, silky soft, fabric goodness.  pillowcases usually a buck, and sheets usually $2.99. powerless i tell ya! it is my kryptonite. needless to say, i have an unusual amount of sheets and pillowcases in my house.  more than any one family "needs", but what i can do with those lovelies is cut them up and sew them into a patchwork quilt.
so this weekend,  i dusted off the old sewing machine and did just that.
i had a little extra motivation, my kids elementary school has its *annual fundraising auction coming up, and this quilt will be added to a basket of goodies auctioned off in 2 weeks.




* if you live nearby, please come to the auction Saturday, March 16th, 2013 at the Ocean Gateway Terminal in Portland from 6-9. Preview at 5:30.
food, fun, festivities
lots of great items to be had!
all benefiting the kids.

2 comments:

sarah jean, said...

love the way you've opened yourself up to sharing of YOU at the new school. so proud of you and i ADORE! what you shot and what you made! wish i lived closer so i could come to the auction. x

Imene said...

What a wonderful way to contribute to the school auction. I am your mirror image I never sewed anything more than square and knitting is my thing.
We could trade ;-)