we all know 2020 was a year like no other. it was the year you turned 16, just weeks into our national shutdown. we celebrated that day with a car parade complete with firetrucks. your friends couldn't come over and hang out back then. little did we know we'd only just be seeing some light here a whole year later. here we are. the eve of your 17th birthday. you are fully vaccinated. you've spent your entire 16th year in a mask, socially distant, no job, very little sports til now. your drivers permit completely on hold because drivers school shut down. right before the pandemic you had really found your place. you discovered you love filming movies with your friends. it became your passion that was completed sidelined by covid. it's been a year of doing the right thing, even when it hurt. and i am so proud of you. i know you've missed out on so much, sacrificed so much, but i hope you are proud of yourself too. you kept your family and community safe. i know it was not easy.
happy last day of 16 kellen and cheers to an amazing 17.
- school shut down and went fully remote to finish your sophomore year
- long curls to a short cut
- masks, hand sanitizer, social distance
- after many months of waiting, you earned your driver's permit. now it's practice practice practice.
- socially distant fire pit nights
- watching movies online with your friends
- the election
- in fall you returned to in person school 4 days a week for your junior year. things looked VERY different.
- dressing up as biden 😂 (you really nailed it)
- riding in a car parade in portland celebrating biden's win
- putting the finishing touches on Joker
- among us (pink is SUS). now you and your sister play lots of valorant
- cross country barely happened since our school was in the yellow zone (covid covid covid) spring brought track; running sprints fully masked with no spectators.
- you never needed a covid test.
- you were so excited to finally get your turn for a vaccine. (team Pfizer. THANK YOU SCIENCE!)
- we stayed home, did not eat out. we enjoyed watching stuff on disney plus (thank you Marvel) we ordered a lot of your favorite Chinese take out.
- you maintained honor roll in this very strange school year. even climbed up into high honors 2 quarters.
- we have not traveled or seen family or our far away friends in almost 2 years. but change is coming.
- you still play trumpet. like to paint your nails. got into fashion. love your dog. miss your friends. joke around with your little sister. love movies. and always make your bed. you're a good help at home and a great talker on the phone.
- FAVORITES: drink: coffee oreo milkshakes actress: elizabeth olsen, tv show: The Umbrella Academy, food: pulled pork tacos, movie: Whiplash (though that was a very hard choice) actor: Sebastian Stan, favorite thing to do: make films or watch a film for the first time, favorite song: "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House (he's throwing it back). favorite color: sky blue